Above all else, content is paramount when it comes to the Search Engine Optimization of your site. Here are some important tips on writing and structuring your content:
1. Make a site with a clear hierarchy of information and text links. Every page should be reached from at least one text link.
2.Define the keywords that your visitors would most likely type to find you and use them inside your page content. How to select the right set of keywords for your site:
- Identify your target audience and select keywords that your target users might use
- The keywords should be specific to your business and location, avoid generic keywords used by lots of popular websites.
- Ensure high density of the keywords - the keyword you want to show up for should be mentioned in the text several times and especially in the first and last paragraph.
- Review the competition for a specific keyword and how many times it was searched for by using tools, such as Google Keyword Tool. Track search volume per region and industry in a defined time frame, using the Google Insights for Search tool.
- Insert keywords in hyper links, as search engines consider them containing potentially important content.
3. For your pages use URLs that are related to the page content. If your site is about painting, you may use URLs, such as painting_oilpaintings.html, painting_graffiti.html, painting_acrylics.html, etc.
4. Pay special attention to the content on your Home page - a properly structured and optimized Home page will contribute significantly to the indexing of all pages on your site.
- Write a text paragraph on your site objectives, mention your brand, give a brief company presentation.
- Link to the rest pages from your site using text links.
5. If you are offering products or services on your site, it is recommended to have a separate page for each product or service.
6. Use text instead of images to display important names, content, or links. Search engine crawlers don't recognize text contained in images.
7. Always set a 'rollover caption' for uploaded images. The rollover image captions are visible for search engines.
8. Create a Sitemap page listing the most important pages of your site. Link the pages to their URLs. This will both help your visitors to get oriented in your website and will give a straightforward list of links to the search engine crawler. We strongly recommend this approach to users who don't have the option to upload sitemap static file.
9. Optimize the content of all pages. Keep in mind that search engines return pages as results, not sites. The more optimized each page is, the higher the possibility to be displayed in search results, thus giving a chance to your potential customers to land right on your Product / Service page.
10. Make sure you don't have traffic leak from old, non-existent pages. If you have previously had a site, and it was indexed by search engines, make sure all traffic to those obsolete pages is directed to your new site by setting your Home page as your 'not found' page.
11. Update frequently - keeping your content fresh and up-to-date is important for search engine optimization.
Have in mind that search engines may penalize a website that features duplicate content and as a result exclude it from search engine results. Pay attention to the following practices to prevent this:
1. Use only unique content on your web pages - do not copy-paste content from other sites. If you're not sure how original your content is, use Copyscape to check.
2. Don't create pages with content similar to the content of other pages from your site.
3. Don't use multiple domains for the same site, as search engines consider each domain a separate copy of the content. We'd recommend setting up the site only under 'www.yourdomain.com' and applying a 301 redirection of 'yourdomain.com' to 'www.yourdomain.com'